Lara's First Birthday - The Big Party
Kathi and Rainer invited seven couples and their children to a Sunday
afternoon BBQ and birthday party, on May 15. Four one-year olds! Any
number of other kids! Hamburgers and hotdogs and chips and quacamole
dip and tomato-and-mozzarella and, of course, birthday cake!
- The amazing birthday cake. They take a photograph and somehow create icing in the perfect copy of the photograph.
- Rainer and Nigel from across the street. Sad to say, Nigel and his wife Ana and their kids are moving to Madison, Wisconsin.
- Lara WILL NOT suffer the birthday hat to stay on her head.
- Kathi and Ana from across the street.
- I am ashamed to say I've forgotten her name ... in the background, Lara tugs on Grandma's skirt.
- This is a trick shot. The hat was on Lara for approximately 1.5 seconds. She does, however, enjoy cold pizza.
- Gimme pizza!
- All the kids love Lara, and vice versa.
- Julie is the next-door neighbor, and she and Lara are very used to each other.
- Julie and Lara smile for the camera. If Lara-smiling-for-the-camera often looks like she's looking off to one side - it's because Mom is standing over there waving and cooing and getting her to smile.
- A passel of friendly neighbors!
- Maeve Emily and her parents.
- Anna (the first of this group of one-year-olds to walk!) and her parents.
- Three of the four one-year-olds. (Well, Skyler, the boy, is a bit older, I think.)
- the four babies, with Skinnybones squealing a characteristic squeal.
- Anna and Skyler looking as though they're getting ready to do something.
- Maeve explains the theory of the stand-up UFO device to another baby.
- Jeff is the next-door neighbor. He and Lara are well acquainted.
- Babies playing in the living room. A sterner editor than I would cull some of these photos, but I don't have the heart - Lara looks so cute.
- The famous Ginger, the dog next door! Legend has it that Lara's first word was "Gin-ga." Ginger was not shy, and came right over and made herself comfortable on Rainer and Kathi's back deck (where the enticing aromas of grilled meat were evident.)
- A cameo of the lady of the day.
- A good friend came a bit later. Her boy is 16 months.
- The great present-unwrapping is under way. More legos!
- There's always something interesting happening on a plane closer to the floor.
- Kathi and Lara unwrap a gift.
- Ana (who is moving to Madison) will be sorely missed, not least by Lara, who reaches out for her whenever she sees her.
- "You see, you put the red guy here ..."
- It takes concentration.
- Mother and child.
- And father.
- This yellow bus is extremely popular. When you push it, red lights on top flash.
- The hard part is getting the little passengers in their seats.
- The biggest little yellow duckie in the world! Bathtime, here we come!
- Lara is captivating by more wrapping paper to rip.
- Anna has devised a unique way to walk - hanging onto Daddy's legs.
- The amazing birthday cake again, this time with the candle burning.
- The family.
- Kathi and Lara, the mood shot.
- Cutting the cake.
- Lara looks mischevious.
- The beginning of the cake sequence. Note how all is clean and tidy.
- Let's get started!
- I like this!
- The cake begins to adorn the face.
- Eating cake is serious business.
- The girls in the formal dining room are years beyond such first efforts.
- Time to inspect the paper plate!
- You lookin' at ME?
- One final holler-out to y'all from Lara!
Last modified: May 15, 2005