- 1 Romaine lettuce
- 10 capers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 can of anchovies in olive oil
- 1 tbs wine vinegar
- 4 tbs virgin olive oil
- 1/4 ts lemon juice
- HP sauce
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 8 tbs parmesan cheese
- Croutons (if you like them)
- 1 oz Cognac
- Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1 ts pepper
- Wash the lettuce and brake it apart, then drain it.
- Use a garlic press to mash the garlic or simply smash it the best you can
- Put the salt, pepper, half of the anchovies, garlic and capers in a wooden bowl
- Press with a wooden spoon and mix well until you get a paste
- Add the lemon juice, 3 dashes of HP sauce, 3 dashes or Tabasco sauce, Cognac and mustard and mix well into the paste
- Add the olive oil and vinegar, mix well again
- Just before serving, add the egg yolk and mix the dressing again
- Add the lettuce and mix again
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese top and drained anchovies.
You should really use a wooden bowl if you have one, as well as wooden spoons to prepare this salad.
The easiest and fastest way to peel garlic is to wrap it in rubber, and roll it back and forth a few times. We use a rubber husband, it takes us 2 seconds to peel a garlic clove.
You are welcome to add cold pieces of chicken if you want to make a whole meal out of this.
Last modified October 13, 2004