Honeydew Granita Spritzer
This is a non-alcoholic version (and it's great) but you can
also experiment with adding whatever liquor it is they add to
This is from "Martha Stewart Living", July 2006.
- one honeydew melon
- 1/4 or 1/3 cup sugar (less is probably better)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (use two limes)
How to make it:
- Working in batches, puree 6 cups cubed honeydew melon in a blender
or food processor. Pour into 8-inch square non-reactive dish.
- Put 1/2 cup water and 1/4 or 1/3 cup sugar into in small saucepan.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. stirring until sugar has
dissolved. Stir into puree.
- Add 1/4 cup fresh lime juice; stir to combine.
- Freeze, uncovered, at least 6 hours (up to 3 days).
- Scrape granita with a fork (or a spoon) to make shavings; spoon
about 1 cup into each of 6 glasses.
- Pour 1/2 cup seltzer (soda water, fizzy water, mineral water, whatever
you want to call it ...) into each glass; garnish with lime peels.
Serves 6. Of course, you can prepare this and just serve yourself
a glass at a time out of the freezer! A great summertime alternative
to overly-sweet sorbets. Easy, fun and popular dessert. (Comments from
your editor, not from Martha Stewart ...)
Last modified: July 9, 2006